Chocolate Marble Cake

There is nothing more heartwarming than a dish well-remembered from childhood. I'm fortunate enough to have plenty of those. They include home-cooked dishes with rice, the simplest and most homely chocolate cake I've ever had from my old neighbourhood bakery, and round sandwich cookies with a sweet, chewy jam centre.

And then there's marble cake.

Funnily enough, I didn't start out liking marble cake. It was a frequent appearance for breakfast and afternoon snacks, but it was more popular with my mum and sister. I didn't hate it, but I didn't particularly like the taste either. Gooey, creamy cakes were more my thing.

Perhaps you could say that my taste has changed as I grew older, or maybe it's simply an acquired taste for me. I now appreciate marble cake for how simple it is - both to make and to eat. Good on its own, even better with a mug of steaming coffee.



I made this cake on 9th August, National Day. I proclaim it my birthday cake to Singapore - I mean, it's only fitting that I present a cake I grew up on to the country I grew up in, right? ;)

This recipe is a keeper. It's so simple and fuss-free, and with wonderful results. The texture is perfect. The chocolate was just right. And I absolutely love how yellow the cake is. It has always seemed a bit miraculous to me, silly as it sounds - how does marble cake get so yellow when you don't add any yellow food colouring?



To celebrate the fact that I was baking a whole cake for no special reason (it's kind of a big deal for me, seeing how cupcakes and cookies are more typically my thing), I went out and bought an 8-inch cake tin. I'm glad I used that instead of my 9-inch one. I love fat, springy cakes, and I imagine that it'd have been much flatter if I had used a larger tin.



I took the recipe from BBC. Judging from the number of positive reviews on the website, you definitely can't go wrong!

Enjoy! :)

Labels: , ,

0 COMMENTS
Written on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 at 1:27 PM by huis

______